Listen to this devotional
DIY studies are interactive Bible studies designed to help you build an engaging relationship with God. These studies will teach you to use various tools like podcasts and videos to engage with the Bible in a way that best fits your learning style. These studies were originally created for teens, but can be helpful for anyone. Click here for a printable version of this study.
This study teaches us the importance of dealing with and talking about our emotions. Ignoring and pretending they do not exist is not the solution because this ends up leaving us controlled and dominated by what we feel. When we learn to take our emotions to God we can feel at peace with whatever life circumstance we are in.
What are emotions?
Try using an emotions chart to help you identify your emotions.
Why is it important to deal with our emotions?
In the end they will be destroyed. Their own emotions are their god, and they take pride in the shameful things they do. Their minds are set on worldly things.
Philippians 3:19 (GW)
When our emotions become our god, we can destroy our relationships with our family, friends and God.
You’ve carried on so long
You couldn’t stop if you tried it
You’ve built your wall so high
That no one could climb it
But I’m gonna try
Would you let me see beneath your beautiful
Would you let me see beneath your perfect
Take it off now girl, take it off now girl
I wanna see inside
Like this song talks about, we can build up a wall with God but God patiently waits for us to be honest.
What stops us from being honest about our emotions?
“While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God.”
Hebrews 5:7 NLT
- Jesus poured his heart out to God because he trusted God with everything he was feeling and going through. He had a deep conviction that God cared.
- When we believe and trust that God cares we will be honest with God about our emotions.
- Do I see prayer as somewhere safe?
- Do I believe God cares about what I am going through?
How to pray through emotions:
I will go to God, my rapture; I will sing praises to You and play my strings, unloading my cares, unleashing my joys, to You, God, my God. O my soul, why are you so overwrought? Why are you so disturbed? Why can’t I just hope in God? Despite all my emotions, I will hope in God again. I will believe and praise the One who saves me and is my life, My Savior and my God.
Think About It:
- Our emotions can leave us feeling disturbed. The solution is putting our hope in God.
- Honest prayers help us to overcome the emotions that feel so real.
- What is an emotion that is currently dominating your heart/mind?
- What are some of the cares you need to unload?
- What are some happy/exciting things you can share with God?
Write About It:
What are the top two emotions you are currently feeling? Why do you think you are feeling this way?
I feel _______ because_______.
Listen to Psalms 18.
Review or Reflect
Listen to Psalms 18 and write down 5 ways that God takes care of us.
Purpose: Turning Emotion Into Action Podcast
DIY How to Start Praying
T.R.U.E. Prayer is an acronym that can help you start learning to pray.
T = Thanksgiving
R = Requests/Needs
U = Uncovering Sin
E = Emotions
DIY For Further Study
Check out these Bible studies to continue learning how to deal with your emotions spiritually.
- How to pray through your emotions
- Letting your emotions lead you to God
- Following God Instead of Emotions
- Prayer guide
Try listening to our podcast episode called How to Have a Quiet Time: Creating Sacred Space to get more ideas about how to focus on God over your emotions.