The church of the Bible was dynamic, powerful, and life-changing. So why has church attendance today been declining? Watch our newest One Quick Thought to start learning about the church of the New Testament that changed the world, and how to build the kind of church Jesus wants all of us as Christians to build.
If you would like notes to follow along, click here!
- The church has a purpose in our lives
- God’s purpose for the church is to change the world and be like Jesus on this earth
Episode 1 of How The Church That Changes the World is meant to educate and inspire viewers from all believing perspectives about the church Jesus began and wanted us to build. These were the first Christians and their church is sometimes referred to as The New Testament Church.
That church, as we will learn in upcoming episodes, changed the world in about 30 years. This is the church Jesus built, and the one that should be our model.
For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you,  because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.  You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst ofsevere suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit.  And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia.  The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia- your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it, 9] for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God.
1 Thessalonians 1:4-9 NIV
- What impact made this church a model?
- Verse 5 – those who came to believe the gospel, those who became Christians had deep conviction.
- Verse 8 – the Lord’s message rang out from them meaning they inspired many more people to believe because of the type of church they were.
His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms,  according to his eternal purpose that he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ephesians 3:10-11 NIV
His purpose was that all the rulers and powers in the heavenly places will now know the many different ways he shows his wisdom. They will know this because of the church.  This agrees with the plan God had since the beginning of time. He did what he planned, and he did it through Christ Jesus our Lord.
Ephesians 3:10-11 ERV
- Do you believe in New Testament Christianity? Why
or why not?
Do you believe that New Testament Christianity is about building the church Jesus intended for us to build? Why or why not?
- Do you believe building this type of church will result in an impact equal to or greater than sports and music entertainers?
- What do you think are some basic ways we can make our lives and our group more like the New Testament Christians?