A devotional is an in-depth Bible study. A typical devotional should take you anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to complete. Download and print a PDF version of this devotional for yourself, or use it with a friend to create an engaging discussion.
This Bible Study was inspired by The Spirituality of Jesus, Part 3: “Awareness”.
What are the hardest areas for you to have faith about for your life?
Why does having faith feel like a struggle?
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.Ephesians 6:10-12 NIV
- Being spiritual is a struggle because there are dark forces fighting against us every day
- If you are struggling with faith, is good because it means you are fighting to grow.
- To win, we have to be aware of the spiritual forces against us and what their goal is.
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat.  But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”Luke 22:31-32 NIV
- Satan’s goal in the spiritual battle is to steal your faith.
- What are Satan’s most effective ways to go after stealing your faith?
- What are ways you can turn back when your faith has drifted away from God?
How can you take responsibility for your faith?
 They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?”  Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”  They answered, “Show us a miraculous sign if you want us to believe in you. What can you do?John 6:28-29 NLT
- Jesus was explaining to these people that it was up to them to grow their faith. However, they still asked Jesus to give them a miracle for them to believe.
- How can you take take responsibility for your faith rather than expect God to do something for you to have faith?
How can you protect and strengthen your faith?
Brothers and sisters, make sure that none of you has a sinful heart. Do not let an unbelieving heart turn you away from the living God.  But build one another up every day. Do it as long as there is still time. Then none of you will become stubborn. You won’t be fooled by sin’s tricks.  We belong to Christ if we hold tightly to the faith we had at first. But we must hold it tightly until the end.  It has just been said, “Listen to his voice today. If you hear it, don’t be stubborn. You were stubborn when you opposed me.”Hebrews 3:12-15 NIRV
- We need spiritual relationships to protect us from being fooled by sin’s tricks and turn our heart to unbelief rather than faith.
- How can you change your relationships so that you protect each other’s faith?
You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless ?  Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?  You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.  And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend.James 2:20-23 NIV
- Only when we take action is our faith complete.
- What action can you take to based on your faith today?