Listen to this devotional
This Bible study was inspired by The Spirituality of Jesus, Part 2: “Awakenings”.
- How do you see darkness rising in your life and in the community?
- Are you spiritually sharp, aware of yourself and others, or has darkness led you to become spiritually dull and unaware?
- Are you defeating darkness through prayer?
Prayer is essential to defeat darkness
Lord, you provide the flame for my lamp. You, God, turn the darkness around me into light.Psalm 18:28 ERV
- Only God can turn the darkness in and around our lives into light.
- Do you believe you can defeat any darkness permeating your life by turning to God, especially in prayer?
- How passionate are you about prayer?
Defeat spiritual dullness with prayer
Be persistent and devoted to prayer, being alert and focused in your prayer life with an attitude of thanksgivingColossians 4:2 AMP
- Prayer is how we become aware and alert to the spiritual world around us, and the condition of heart within us.
- Do you turn to God and pray for spiritual awareness? How alert are you in praying through temptations, sins and for others who are affected by the spiritual forces of darkness?
Embrace transparency in prayer
When the light shines, it exposes even the dark and shadowy things and turns them into pure reflections of light. This is why they sing, Awake, you sleeper! Rise from your grave, And the Anointed One will shine on you.Ephesians 5:13-14 VOICE
- Exposing sin and dark activity in our lives, and helping others expose the darkness in their lives is how we defeat darkness.
- As soon as we begin to pray with honesty, vulnerability and transparency with God, we experience God moving and turning painful darkness into the light of hope.
- How honest are you in prayer? Do you hold back any emotion, thoughts, desires or sins from God?
- What will you do to be more honest with God starting today?
Be decisive in prayer
13 “If only you would prepare your heart and lift up your hands to him in prayer! 14 Get rid of your sins, and leave all iniquity behind you. 15 Then your face will brighten with innocence. You will be strong and free of fear. 16 You will forget your misery; it will be like water flowing away. 17 Your life will be brighter than the noonday. Even darkness will be as bright as morning. 18 Having hope will give you courage. You will be protected and will rest in safety. 19 You will lie down unafraid, and many will look to you for help.Job 11:13-19 NCV
- To defeat darkness and spiritual dullness, we must not only choose to be transparent with God in prayer, but decide once and for all to be done with the sins by turning to God with all our hearts.
- This means making a complete break from the sins that allowed darkness to have a grip in our lives.
- What decision can you pray about and make to be done with darkness and live a life that pleases God?